Monday, November 23, 2009

Haj: It’s a dream come true for Madyun

It's a dream come true for Madyun
Hassna'a Mokhtar | Arab News
 

JEDDAH: Munir Madyun is unable to sleep at night due to his excitement. He is performing Haj for the first time.

An American citizen who serves as the vice consul at the US Consulate General in Jeddah, Madyun said he has been preparing for and thinking about Haj his entire life. "I'm very excited. I think it's going to be a humbling experience. My parents have both performed Haj and told me about their experience," says Madyun.

His father came in 1980 as a pilgrim to Saudi Arabia. Madyun was only two months old.

"My mother came in 1992 for Haj," he said. "I think this is the most beautiful thing in our religion: the coming together of Muslims from all over the world to worship. Everybody is equal no matter what their social or economic status is."

This is Madyun's first tour in the Middle East. His next stop will be in the Kingdom of Jordan. He said he has enjoyed his time being in Saudi Arabia. "I hadn't visited before, but growing up I had Muslim friends who had visited — and my parents too. I have heard a lot of things about it, but I didn't expect the heat," says Madyun laughing.

Madyun said growing up as a US Muslim was comfortable.

"As you know the (US) Constitution guarantees freedom of religion and freedom of expression. As the president said in his Cairo speech: America is shaped by every part of the globe and every culture, and Islam has been part of that," he said.

Aside from his preparation and excitement about Haj, Madyun visited the holy city of Madinah and enjoyed the experience.

"My mother visited Madinah when she came for Haj. She kept telling me about it. When I got here, I went to Madinah during my first month. It is such a peaceful place," he said.

No comments: